- Management Policy: The duly appointed library board shall have all management rights, authorities, and responsibilities as stated in Wisconsin Statutes, Chapter 43.
- The library board shall select, appoint, and when necessary for valid reasons, dismiss the director of the library.
- The board shall establish all other positions and all wages and benefit levels for all library staff.
- The library board shall provide an effective orientation for new directors to assure that the director understands:
- the policies and processes related to the daily operation of the library,
- reporting and budgetary requirements that assure accountability and compliance with the law,
- the expectations of the board in regard to administrative processes and protocol, particularly as they relate to conducting effective and efficient board meetings, and
- rules and requirements for state certification and any assistance which is provided by the library to acquire and maintain appropriate certification.
- The library board shall conduct annual appraisals of the library director’s performance, at which time any personal and management goals may be discussed and negotiated.
- Administrative Policy: The person appointed as library director shall be charged with the sole administration of the library.
- The director shall be responsible to the library board in matters pertaining to and concerning the library; be present at monthly board meetings and prepare and present such reports and meeting documents as requested.
- The director shall maintain financial records in an efficient manner; present periodic reports to the library board and to the municipal governing bodies, and prepare the draft of the annual budget to be presented to the library board. The director and trustees will mutually present the adopted request for appropriation to the municipal governing body. Trustees should be involved in presenting, explaining, and supporting the library budget that was approved by the library board, as noted in the Library Trustee Essentials, #13.
- The director shall hold regular meetings with staff and/or volunteers for training and interpreting board policy.
- The director will be responsible for preparing annual performance assessments for library staff.
- The director shall have the responsibility for collection development for all materials in the library. This may include the selection, ordering, processing, weeding, and inventory of the collection according to the guidelines in the policy This responsibility will ideally allow staff who are most knowledgeable to maintain subsections of the collection.
- The director will recommend changes in or additions to library policies as needed.
- The director will perform preparatory work to assist the board with regular library planning.
- Salaries: A classification and salary schedule has been adopted by the City of Ladysmith. The plan is subject to regular revision so that it will remain equitable for both the library and library employees. Federal law and state law are followed as required.
- Health Insurance Policy (See Library Personnel Manual; Under City control).
- Vacation Policy (See Library Personnel Manual).
- Holiday Policy (See Library Personnel Manual).
- Sick Leave (See Library Personnel Manual).
- Leave of Absence (See Library Personnel Manual).
- Bereavement Leave (See Library Personnel Manual).
10. Military Leave (See Library Personnel Manual).
11. Jury Duty (See Library Personnel Manual).
12. Work Schedule Policy (See Library Personnel Manual).
13. Meetings, Conventions, and Workshops (See Library Personnel Manual).
14. Disciplinary Policy (See Library Personnel Manual).
15. Resignation and Retirement Policy (See Library Personnel Manual).
16. Grievance Procedure (See Library Personnel Manual).
17. Equal Opportunity Employment Policy (See Library Personnel Manual).
18. Drug-Free Workplace Policy (See Library Personnel Manual).
19. Sexual Harassment Policy (See Library Personnel Manual).
Return to BOARD INFO page